Monday, February 28, 2011

Student Participation: the Cold Call (video)

Another interesting video from the Uncommon Schools youtube page.  In it, a practice called "the cold call" is described.  Basically, the teacher asks a question at a rapid-fire pace and calls on a random student.  The point is to keep the entire class on its toes by having everyone be mentally prepared to answer the question, and to keep students engaged and listening carefully.  The video notes that it's supposed to be positive and you want students to get the question right (as opposed to a "I caught you not listening" practice).  The second video shows the same cold call technique used in an upper-grade math class, which would help develop mental math skills.  These videos will lead me to a discussion later about challenging your students.



5 comments:

  1. So do you like this teaching style or no? I don't know how I feel about it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's an interesting method. It reminds me a little of "popcorn reading," which I understand why some people don't like. I guess it could put students "on the spot," make them feel uncomfortable, etc. The students here don't seem pressured, though.

    But I do like that it appears to be a challenge. All of the students are having to find the answer before you let them know who will be called. To me, it looks almost like a game. I think it could have its usefulness in the classroom as a short review or game method.

    What are your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also notice that, when I'm subbing and asking questions, I first go for the kids who raise their hand. But it sometimes becomes clear that only a few students know the answers and want to volunteer. So I'll start calling on the kids who haven't raised their hands, to either encourage them to participate (the quiet kids) or to focus. It's not too different from what this cold call appears to be doing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is an engaging way to interact with the students, It is definitely challenging and keeps them on their toes mentally. There are so many positive benefits of this style of teaching, and I'm encouraged to see that advances in instructional techniques are still being made. With that being said if it were like this when I was in school I'm SURE I would've hated it! LOL I didn't mind volunteering and answering questions aloud but just knowing that it was coming I could see myself being like "OH GOD here we go with this" LMAO I like this method a lot though. It forces you to be attentive and prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree. There are different ways of looking at it, but I think even reluctant participants still feel rewarded when they know they are being challenged, especially when they begin to see themselves improving.

    ReplyDelete