Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Rigorous Classroom

A couple of weeks ago, I made a post about "challenging students mentally."  It turns out that there is a lot of literature out there about this exact concept, more commonly referred to as "rigor."  I've been doing research about rigor in the classroom, and much of it is very helpful.  It all points back to having high expectations for students, and demanding higher-level thinking and high-quality work from all of them.


As I continue to research this concept and do more thinking about it, I will give updates about valuable things I learn, or questions I have.


In the meantime, check out this quote from a book I've been perusing.  If you're thinking about what kinds of materials to use in the classroom (for lessons, instruction, assessment, activities, etc), here's something to remember:


"... The kind of learning material to look for is that which is just within but at the outer edge of students' current abilities."

How to Plan Rigorous Instruction (Mastering the Principles of Great Teaching)


With this is mind, I can remember to keep students striving for the next level in their understanding and capabilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment